Sun 27 Jan 2013
40 students in THEO 295 (Introduction to Islam) have been directed to the library website to access the e-book version of The Cambridge Companion to Muhammad. It can be tricky to find and linking to it is not entirely straightforward.
If you should receive a question about this in-person or during an AskLive chat, you can link the student to the e-book by sending him/her http://flagship.luc.edu/login?url=http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CCOL9780521886079 via e-mail or during your online chat.
Thu 24 Jan 2013
Changes in how we acquire and access EBL e-books are underway. Between January 25th and February 3rd,Pegasus catalog records for all of the EBL e-books that the library doesn’t own outright (the EBL e-books that we “rent” from EBL until use is sufficient that it converts to an owned EBL e-book) will disappear from Pegasus. Most of them will reappear after February 3rd.
Here’s how this could affect you at our reference desk.
- You may receive a question about why an EBL e-book that could be found in Pegasus previously is no longer there. You may offer to help find a print copy of the book in our collection or through interlibrary loan. If the individual strongly prefers an e-book, please send the title information and the individual’s contact information to the appropriate subject librarian.
- You may notice that your Pegasus search results lists are significantly shorter. This is simply because most of the EBL records that would have appeared are not in the results list since those records are not in Pegasus during the dates listed above.
Please ask questions and refer concerns to the librarian with whom you are working.
Tue 22 Jan 2013
After being away and off our regular schedule sometimes our timetables get mixed up. FYI, timecards are due this coming Friday, January 25th, at 9:00 am (you may complete them the previous day if necessary) and payday is on February 1st.
Also, our W2 forms should be mailed to our “primary address” in the next couple of weeks. If you have questions about the W2 forms, please contact me.
Wed 16 Jan 2013
We close at 5:00 instead of 6:00 on Saturday, 1/19. The library is open regular hours on Sunday, 1/20 and closed again for MLK Day on Monday, 1/21. We are back to regular hours on Tuesday, 1/22. Let us know if you have questions.
Wed 16 Jan 2013
The mailroom has a new home on the first floor of a Facilities building at 6317 North Broadway. The building is just south of the Sheridan/Devon intersection and is on the east side of the street.
More information about LSC mailroom services for students is at http://luc.edu/media/lucedu/purchasing/pdfs/mail_guide_lsc_students.pdf. Information for faculty and staff is at http://luc.edu/media/lucedu/purchasing/pdfs/mail_guide_facultystaff.pdf.
Mon 14 Jan 2013
We have made a few changes to how some of the services operate in the IC this semester. Please let me know if you have any questions.
1. IC undergraduate student employees will no longer staff the Level 2 service desk during hours when reference is not scheduled. This is a pilot for the spring semester. Please feel free to send any comments to me now or throughout the semester.
2. Lost & Found is now at the Level 1 Service Desk.
3. Digital Media Services has begun white board marker check-out at the Level 2 Service Desk.
4. Digital Media Services will begin checking out iPads at the Level 2 Service Desk today. The iPads include apps, such as BlueFire and BrowZine that will allow students to more easily use e-books and online journals.
5. The IC student employee information site has moved from Blackboard to Sakai (https://sakai.luc.edu). Everyone who had access to the Blackboard site should now see Klarchek IC as a workspace after logging into Sakai. Another way to access Sakai is from the Links button on the Loyola home page.
6. We re-organized the IC Web Site. If you see any problems please send them to Adam or Jeannette. http://www.luc.edu/ic/
7. Josh Cummings has begun his new position as the IC Weekend Supervisor. Welcome Josh!
8. January marks the IC’s 5th Anniversary!
Sun 13 Jan 2013
On Sunday afternoon Erica learned that marker checkout is now an ITS service. Please refer marker requests to ITS staff at their end of the second floor desk.
Fri 11 Jan 2013
Between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM students mat pick up their U-Pass in the Centennial Forum Student Union (CFSU). All remaining passes will be at the CFSU Information Desk after 3:00 PM on 1/18/13. See http://luc.edu/upass for more information.
Tue 8 Jan 2013
Posted by Reference Grads under announcementsNo Comments
Amy has just let me know that the Lost and Found boxes will now be kept in the 1st floor desk of the IC. She took two of the boxes downstairs already, but there are still a few things left up here in case anyone asks for them.
CORRECTION: All the Lost and Found items are downstairs now.
Mon 7 Jan 2013
Please notice the reduced and revised Pages and Links on the right. Send suggestions for new content to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please resolve to categorize posts in 2013. Most posts are announcements but if the content has lasting importance (such as a revised procedure), categorizing it with another, relevant selection from the list will make the information easier to find later. All posts published since January 2012 have been categorized for this purpose.
Send blog ideas and concerns to email@example.com. They are entirely welcome!